My teachers...and me

Monday, July 30, 2007

Our Garden



Our garden started of with an idea that quickly became a plan to have a contained style garden. In the early Spring, the kids planted seeds in indoor greenhouses and watched with anticipation and delight as they quickly grew and grew. Before we knew it, they were ready to go outside so everyone helped design and construct a 6 feet by 6 feet raised garden box. Every detail about the project, right down to finding and ordering organic soil was a family affair. We planted 3 different varieties of tomato and pepper plants each, carrots, green bunch onions, white onions, lavender, cilantro, peas, bush beans, dill, spearmint, peppermint, geraniums and bachelor buttons. Our garden is growing and growing and requiring daily watering's in the summer heat. I have to be honest here, I really have never "gotten" gardening. I mean, pulling weeds and maintaining every other garden I have ever had really felt more like a chore than anything else. This garden is so different though. I actually get the romance of gardening and am absolutely in love with every aspect of it. The raised, contained bed makes such a difference with weeds. I have maybe only pulled two so far and the smallish size of it makes the maintenance time short. I go out to the garden and run my hands through the soil and inhale all the rich fragrances just because. It is wonderful. All the kids seem to feel this way too. The garden seems to be a connecting point for all of us. When one person heads out to it, it doesn't take long before almost everyone has gathered and is sampling, caring for, sharing and enjoying!

No comments: