My teachers...and me

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Giving



Recently, while out shopping on a very busy day at Cosco , I invited a mother and her son ahead of me in line. They had only two items and I had a cart full to the brim. They accepted my offer with a thank you and a smile. I finally made my way through the checkout and out to the van where I started packing away my small fortune of purchases. I had just finished removing the last item in my cart when a man came over with his cart and offered to take my cart along with his to the storage area. I smiled and thanked him for his kind gesture. Driving home, I reflected on this experience with appreciation. I believe in the power of selfless generosity. Giving helps us become more mindful of our inner wealth. Giving feels good. I am never kind or generous for personal gain nevertheless kindness and generosity come back my way. Rarely is it instantaneous like it was at Cosco. Usually, it is subtle and random. There is no law or order to it, it just simply is. My kindness and generosity come in many forms. A smile, advice, listening, waving a car in front of me, sharing and helping are just a few examples. They also come back my way in many forms. It is the epitome of the ripple effect. The perpetual motion of giving reminds us of interconnectedness and flux. Everything is connected to everything else and is in constant motion. My children subtly remind me of this all the time. Daily they share with me their fullness of their being, their enthusiasm, their vitality, their trust, their openness, their innocence and their love. They give without any thought of gain or return. It is beautiful. It is amazing. It is transforming. It is impressively powerful.....it is the act of giving.

No comments: