My teachers...and me

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Spontaneity

Last Saturday morning, Nigel and I were sitting outside having a cup of coffee. Our conversation led to the Okanagan and our family living there. "We should just go to the Okanagan for the day!" Nigel blurted out.

"You're kidding right." I questioned.

"No, I'm not. Let's be spontaneous and go!" Nigel enthusiastically answered.

My mind protested. What about my sprouts? I have to rinse them twice a day. Where would we sleep? Do the kids have any clean clothes left over after a week of playing in the sun and playing hooky from the laundry? Do we have any travelling snacks to pack?.......Etc.........

I must have spoken my thoughts out loud as Nigel's response was simple and clear. "Stop thinking and be spontaneous. Come on, let's go and have fun."

Spontaneity is a tough one for me. I am learning to be more and more spontaneous all the time. My children are definitely my teachers. Impulsive outings for the day are more and more frequent around here thanks to their enthusiasm for exploring and adventuring.

But a nine hour, round trip, unplanned road trip with 6 kids aged 11 and under! I felt a little out of my comfort zone. I tried hard but just couldn't see the beauty inherent in the chaos of that spontaneous outing!

Truth be told, I am devoted to planning and preparation. It helps me maintain physical and mental health. Structure lends me security. The focus gives me sanity. For me, the anticipation and thought out preparation prior to a trip is an integral part of the experience.

I went inside to pour us another cup of coffee and happened to glance over at the message for the day on the page a day calender. It ironically said, "Try giving up some of your structure for a short time and see if the world really falls apart like you thought it would."

I returned outside with our coffee and announced to everyone that they better start packing their backpacks because we were going on a road trip to the Okanagan.

An hour later with spirits high, we were on the road. It was a great trip! Everyone got along, things just flowed, and despite the busyness of such a short trip, we all came home refreshed and energized. I guess there is beauty inherent in the chaos of spontaneity after all!

No comments: