My teachers...and me

Monday, August 6, 2007

Watching

Today, we had a busy day working on our back yard, digging and cementing fence posts, mowing the new lawn, cleaning up, etc...The kids floated back and forth from helping, to playing, to sitting around the fire and hanging out. I observed the kids in their active, exuberant play and was reminiscent of the many memorable summer days from my childhood. Truthfully, I felt too busy today to completely embrace the day. I was only able to commit to a job or need for a short time before being pulled to another need or job. Helping mix concrete, leveling posts, wiping sticky hands, fixing snacks, getting drinks, flipping over the laundry and dishwasher, sweeping up tracked in dirt, bandaging up scraped knees, answering phone calls, making meals and trying to mow the lawn kept me too busy and preoccupied to feel and enjoy summer's presence like the kids were doing. This evening started to pass in much of the same fashion and then Tayven reminded me of something important. He came running in from outside, out of breath and exhilarated.

"Mom! Mom, you got to come outside and see this. It is so amazing!"

So I went outside with him and he showed me the sunset through the trees in our backyard.

"Isn't it beautiful, mom?"

It was beautiful. I stood with Tayven for a few minutes and looked at the sunset with him. I kept feeling a nagging urge to go back inside and finish cleaning up after dinner and get the girls ready for a bath and bedtime so I thanked Tayven for showing me the sunset and told him that I enjoyed looking at it with him.

"No, mom, don't go. Just a couple more minutes. And you can't just look at the sunset, you have to watch it."

Oh yeah. That was something I seemed to be forgetting all day. I thanked Tayven for reminding me of something so important and stayed outside and watched the sun set against the trees. Bright expressive colors of gold, orange, yellow and red illuminated the sky. It was truly spectacular and exhilarating. I can't believe that I almost missed that!

The sun was setting quickly, turning the sky into a glowing, shimmering gold and Tayven decided that he wanted to take a picture of it so he ran inside, grabbed the camera and captured the sun just as it was falling beneath the trees.

Thank you Tayven for reminding me that watching is magical and enchanting!

2 comments:

VM said...

I was just saying this morning that as a child everyday seemed so real and improtant to me. It was as if I really existed. Now as a much older adult it seems that everyday is a blur. I can hardly remember my parents as being real. I think I know now what living in the moment is. Live for that special moment as it happens and you will remember it always just as you did as a kid. Thanks for the reminder.
M

Jen Strilchuk said...

Yes, it is hard though to always remember living in each moment as life is just so busy sometimes. Thank goodness for my children as they are my constant reminders.