My teachers...and me

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

In Search of Non Doing


It seems as if lately most of my days are spent in a constant state of doing, searching for that elusive day of non-doing. My mind is the culprit, always planning and plotting, seeking and thinking. Expectations and anticipations become my day if my mind has it's way. Thoughts of I "should" be..... or nagging notions of I "need" to..... float around in my head, trying to convince me to keep doing and going, going, going......instead of just allowing the day to be. My interest doesn't lie is sitting around and doing nothing rather it gravitates towards allowing the day to unfold naturally like a flower blossoms- slow, deliberate, graceful....perfect. I wouldn't dream of trying to force open a blossom. I know it would be ruined. Why am I allowing my mind to force the day instead of letting it unfold naturally? This post has helped me see that I need not search any farther for that elusive day of non-doing. In the midst of mortgage and insurance renewals, appointments, commitments, mountain high stacks of dishes, dirty diapers, continuous laundry, and chores, I gratefully see that I have a heavy load on my hands but the heavy is in my head. Every day has the potentiality to be a day of non-doing. All I need to do is breathe, sweep away the useless mental clutter in my mind and trust that everything will unfold as it is meant to. If I work at everything as though I am working at nothing then I can stop chasing a day of non-doing and start living one.




No comments: